Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Protein Smoothie
If you were roaming the internet any time between August and September, you might have run into one (or twelve) articles on what's really in a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte (here's a very in-depth article from Food Babe). Aaaaand maybe you cared, maybe you didn't. Starbucks has been seriously called out this time, but the fact is that tons of mass-produced foods contain tons of chemicals and other yucky stuff you probably don't wanna have too much of.
I mean...it's just coffee! So...like...why would there be so many complicated ingredients in something so un-complicated?? Well there are a few reasons for this. The three main reasons are:
- Cost Effectiveness -- Maybe the natural ingredient is more expensive. Or there's an issue with gathering enough of it. So...sometimes (many times) unnatural ingredients are just cheaper. And there are tons of CEOs that aren't food enthusiasts or considerate of quality, and are just worried about the bottom line.
- Shelf Life -- Even many natural products contain preservatives (some chemical, some not). Expenses are lower when product can last on the shelf longer. Again...the bottom line.
- Consistency -- or steady state. It can be difficult to achieve consistency when bringing a food product to a mass-produced level. Many companies will use chemical ingredients, preservatives, etc... to maintain consistency when producing thousands and millions of a product.
While we can't worry constantly about the toxins that are all around us, we can try to avoid them whenever we can!
Get your pumpkin spice fix in a more satisfying and much more natural way!
Enter: Chocolate (Shakeology) Pumpkin Spice Smoothie. Delicious breakfast or snack filled with all those seasonal flavors.
WITH TWO SURPRISES
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH. Did you know that butternut squash can be used like pumpkin?! Yeah, me either -- a friend told me about it recently and it changed my life. It's much easier to get butternut squash throughout the year than pumpkin.
- PUMPKIN PIE SPICE. Oh you fancy, huh? Don't you go out and buy up some new spice -- pumpkin pie spice is just a combo of: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice (or clove). I made my own mix with just a recipe from Google!
And, like I always say, you could use Shakeology, or you could use your choice of chocolate (or vanilla if you'd like) protein mix. Or, in a pinch, some cocoa powder (though this doesn't contain nearly as many nutrients).
Just mix all ingredients in your blender (I use my Vitamix) and enjoy! You can get all fancy with some cinnamon on the rim...or drink it out of the blender container...I'm not here to judge!
- 1 CUP of Almond Milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 CUP of Butternut Squash (steamed) or 1/2 can of pumpkin
- 1 Scoop of Chocolate Shakeology
- 2 Teaspoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend!